Monday, November 12, 2007

Traditions

I love traditions……especially Thanksgiving. I have a semi-large family that gathers every Turkey Day to experience a 40-yr-old tradition. It begins at my parent’s home (just mom now) with 30-35 people including, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and whomever else one might choose to invite. We all bring our “homemade favorite recipes.” Several generations of males play a game of football while the women and non-football players catch up on the latest news, drive the children around in a small trailer attached to a riding lawnmower and decorate the Thanksgiving table. After the turkey is bare and the dishes are cleared away, the tournament of games begins. Each year new games are introduced and the winner of last year’s games is challenged to give up his/her reign. As the day winds down, the men and boys have built an enormous bonfire complete with chairs for sitting and smores for eating. The years have come and gone, but the tradition still lives on. What are your family Holiday traditions?











3 comments:

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Thanksgiving is even more special for me because I get the honor of spending it with you and my extended family.

What a blessing it is to be with those you LOVE for the holidays!

Can't wait to break out the games...I am feeling like I "might" have a chance this year!

See you Saturday...
Melissa

Ivy Vega from www.ivysmind.com said...

Hi Brenda. I'm Ivy Mel's friend just stopping by and can smell the coffee.... I have tagged you just for fun. Go to my site and check it out.

www.ivysmind.com

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Pop over to Mel's World...You've been TAGGED!!!