Friday, December 14, 2007

The PB & J

I just finished a PB & J! My favorite J of this acronym is Strawberry Perserves (Smuckers). My favorite PB is Jiffy. I take two pieces of “fresh” bread, spread a thin layer of PB on the bread, too much PB sticks to the roof of my mouth. My husband likes a thick layer of PB on his PB & J. On the same slice of bread, I put on a thick layer of Strawberry Preserves. I lay the clean slice of bread on top, pour a tall cold glass of 1% milk and bite in!

I have been eating PB & Js all my life (hundreds). I just found out who was responsible for such an easy, cheap, and tasty meal! Around the 1890s a Doctor from St. Louis decided to develop a health food that provided protein for his adult patients. He mashed some peanuts in a meat grinder to make a paste. His friend then mechanized the system and WALA! Peanut butter was developed. Peanut Butter has evolved into PB w/peanuts (go figure!) PB w/o peanuts (how do they do that!), PB with jelly mixed in, etc. My preference is to eat PB on crackers, wafers, banana sandwiches, in fudge, in milkshakes, by itself, etc. PB & J is equivalent to a three-course meal (so I have been told). So how do you like your PB & J?

Oh Yeah! Can someone tell me why there are two font colors?


4 comments:

Mari said...

Hi there - I stopped over from Mels world and enjoyed my visit on your back porch! I have never liked peanut better and jelly but I may be tempted to try one again, after that post!
I may stay on your porch for awhile - it is really windy, cold and snowing on mine!

Melissa in Mel's World said...

One is the color of Peanut Butter (the light brown) and the other is the color of your Strawberry Jelly (red)...am I right????

I like my PB&J with Peter Pan Whipped Creamy and Grape Jelly with Honey Wheat Bread...yummy!

But I make them by having Peanut Butter on one slice and Jelly on the other slice...not on the SAME slice...that is just weird!

Bonnie said...

Hi ... I stopped by from Mel's ...

When I was a kid, I didn't like PBJ ... go figure ! I didn't like the PB because it stuck to the roof of my mouth ! SO ... my Mom used to mix the PB and (grape ! had to be grape !! ) J together in a bowl and then she'd spread it onto saltine crackers and make me a saltine cracker PBJ !!! A little twist ... a very yummy twist !

Anonymous said...

I didn't like PB&J as a kid either. But learned to like them in college :) Have you been to one of the PB&J restaurants? So many options.